Friday, October 13, 2006

I have added my latest composition to my homepage(music page)

www.math.ohio-state.edu/~niranj/music.html

Here are my comments on the composition.

The piece emerged out of all the walks back home from the department, usually after sunset(hence the name!). I refined the piece more and more during the walks, before I started writing the score.
One important thing to composing (and this is from my personal experience) is that one must have a certain sound one wants to listen to while composing. Spontaneity is of course a very important aspect
to composing; lesser mortals like myself cannot be too rigid with certain ideas. For instance, I have a certain guitar strumming sound as the beginning of this piece. I was at the composing console and was trying some plug-ins and this particular sound (the one that you actually listen to in this piece) was not what I had in mind. But it sort of felt different from what I had in mind (that was more 'vanilla' strumming!) and so it decided to retain this.
One new feature was trying some canon-like counterpoint with the string sections(right at the beginning).

No comments: