Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Question: ?
At a bus stop:
A: "Excuse me , but don't you recognize me?"
B: "Do I know you?"
A: "Don't you remember me at all?"
B: "Can you refresh my memory in some way?"
A: "Don't you remember last year around this time?"
B: "Can you add something more?"
A: "Were you not at Navy Pier at the fair?"
B: "Which fair are we talking about?"
A(sarcastically): "How many fairs are there at navy Pier?!"
B: "Do you mean the book-signing one?"
A: "What else do you think I was referring to?!!"
B: " ...and you were...there..?"
A: "Do you remember a fat guy in the line ahead of you?"
B: " The one all were making fun of?"
A(beaming): "And do you remember what you said to him?!"
B: "Are...you....that....fat guy..?"
A(exasperated): "Do you remember what you called him?"
B: "Is that going to help me here?"
A(animatedly): "Don't you remember someone seconding you?!!"
B: "You mean, the one who also called him a....?!!"
A(beaming strongly): "How's it going?!!"
B: "Are you okay now?"
A: "What do you mean?"
B: "Didn't that fat guy pummel you that day?"
A(a little scowl on his face): "WHAT?!!"
B: "Didn't that guy assume you were the one who said everything to him that evening?"
A: "Why would you say that?"
B: "Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what cut short the book signing that evening?"
A: "Are you sure you remember me correctly?"
B: "Didn't I see you limping a little later?"
A: "WHAT?!!"
B: "Was that not politically correct?"
A: "What's wrong with you?!!"
B: "Did I exaggerate?"
A: "Are you trying the same trick you tried that evening again now?"
B: "Are your testicles all intact now?"
A(Red in the face): "GOD, why did I have to find this nut of all people from that night?!!"
B: "Are you praying now?"
A(getting irritated): "Now you're all innocent, is it?!"
B: "Why are you getting angry?"
A(enraged): "Are you now suggesting to me how I should react when a moron such as you is spewing the kind of nonsense you are now?"
B: "Can you repeat the question?"
A(fuming wild): "Are you trying to make a joke here?!"
B: "Why would I do that with a perfect stranger?!"
A: "WHAT THE #$%# DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!!"
B(ignoring A): "Hey, isn't that my bus?"
A: "WHO THE #$%&* DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DEALING WITH HERE?!!"
B(preparing to leave): "So, when are we meeting again?"

Wasn't that odd?

4 comments:

Neeraj said...

Terrific piece of work!
Does B know A- now I am very curious:)

Niranjan said...

Thanks, Neeru!
Actually, I was just toying with the idea of making a conversation (which is not too artificial) with only questions. Now questions are broadly interrogative (in a genuine sense) or are rhetoric. Another point is that if two people are well acquainted, then such a conversation sooner or later turns artificial. So i had to make them strangers, at least to start off.
another point is that it is very hard to sustain a polite conversation with only questions since a genuinely warm inquiry such as "How are you?" cannot be replied to by a question and yet keep a polite tone. Moreover, it makes it very difficult for the ones in the conversation to part ways amicably and still retain this motif of having only questions!
Actually i thought of A as someone like Rainn Wilson (Dwight) and B as John Krasinski (Jim) in The Office! You can imagine the rest!

Unknown said...

dear sir,
really fantastic.It shows how far one can continue the conversation knowingly or unknowingly with a person.Sir I thank you personally because I am an English Teacher. Your blog gave me an idea to think deeply abt the language
amma

Unknown said...

dear sir,
really fantastic.It shows how far one can continue the conversation knowingly or unknowingly with a person.Sir I thank you personally because I am an English Teacher. Your blog gave me an idea to think deeply abt the language
amma